Volunteer with SCARS
The Vital Role of our Volunteers
SCARS relies on the hard work and compassion of volunteers to assist in the care of roughly 800 animals who need our help every year. We call them volunteers, but to the animals, they are heroes.
In every capacity they serve, volunteers are a highly valued resource to our society and are making a very real difference to the lives of so many animals.
How to Become a Volunteer
Step One: Application
Print and complete the application form , then return to SCARS using one of the following methods:
Step Two: Interview
One of the Volunteer Screeners will contact you for a brief telephone interview to discuss your level of interest and availability.
Step Three: Reference Checks
Our Volunteer Screeners will contact your references to ensure accuracy of information.
Step Four: Volunteer Orientation
You will be invited to attend our Volunteer Orientation. The orientation will provide you with important information about our organization, philosophy, policies and procedures and review all volunteer opportunities available to you.
Attendance is by invitation only.
Step Five: Training
Before attending or volunteering for any events, we ask that you attend our Handling Workshop. This workshop will go more into detail on proper handling of our rescue animals.
- Please note that we are 100% volunteer run, and we do not have any paid staff.
- We do have an age requirement; you must be of at least 12 years of age to volunteer. From 12-16 years of age you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to any events in which you volunteer.
- Volunteer at least 6 hours per month.
- Complete at least three months of reliable and consistent volunteer work in order to be eligible for a reference.
- Participate in at least one special fundraising event during the year.
- Have the minimum skills required to accomplish the tasks involved in the selected volunteer opportunity.
- Have regular access to the Internet and a private e-mail address. E-mail and the volunteer forum is our main form of communication.
Our Application Guidelines will provide you with more detail in respect to our recruiting process, please review this document thoroughly.